Monday, June 22, 2009

Harvest America

Harvest is almost here in Hodgeman County! I will be the first to admit that I am not one of the "western Kansas Farm Girls" who grew up with harvest...but over the past 25 years I have grown to love this time of year. I took this photo on Saturday morning...just before the rains came. Today everyone is getting geared up, waiting until the fields dry out enough to get the machines in and start cutting. The fact that they are cutting in the next County over is making the guys pretty anxious. Kansas truly is the Breadbasket of America...and if you would like a great day-trip...head out west and spend some time watching the rows of gleaming combines cutting wheat in precision order. It's an amazing sight! Harvest, in Western Kansas, reminds me of New Years...it's both the end of one year's work...and the beginning of the next. Here's to a safe, bountiful harvest for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment